Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Beaulieu camera question

  1. #1
    Inactive Member James Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2001
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I recently purchased a Beaulieu 4008 M3. It appears to be in mint condition, the lens looks great, the battery and charger work. I ran a roll of test film and the picture is excellent. The only problem was, I didn't get everything I thought I'd shot. I continued shooting until the film footage meter indicated fifty feet, but when I screen the film I discovered that I'd run out of film long before the meter reached the fifty foot level. To be sure that they hadn't cut some film at the lab I timed the footage and it was two-and-a-half minutes at 24 frames, which is correct. I was experimenting with fast motion, shooting a lot of stuff at 2-8 fps. Is it possible that the Beaulieu meter doesn't read accurately at slow fps. Has anyone else had a problem with this. Also, in my Elmo 1012 a red flag indicates when the roll has been completely exposed. Is there a way to know on a Beaulieu when you've completely exposed a roll? Sometimes you can tell by the change in pitch of the motor, but I'd prefer a more accurate indicator. This is my only grievance. I'm totally in love with the camera. I just want to know when my roll is up.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have never had that problem. I have a 4008ZMII and it is right on. If you think it is messed up send it to Irv Higdon in California. He used to work for Beaulieu and now he services them 1-800-318-3259. Good Luck

  3. #3
    Inactive Member #Pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2000
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Running a Beaulieu without film can only be harmful in slow motion >56fps. No problem at normal framerates.
    As far as I know, the footagecounter of the 4008 models is mechanical as it was in the 6008. It must show the correct footage at any speed, otherwise something is defective or needs service (too old spring, sand/dirt in sprocket drives etc.).
    Pedro

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    You probably didn't do this...but if you open the film chamber and take out the film between shoots, the counter resets to zero, and your counter would no longer give you an accurate read.

    I'd recommend just turning the camera on with no film in it and set it to 24fps...get a watch, and see if the counter reaches 50 feet after 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

    If you are reluctant to run the camera with no film in it (some people think this is bad for the camera...I don't know why however)

    Just do it to 10 feet with no film in the camera (that shouldn't harm the camera..any comments?)

    ...10 feet on the meter should occur at 30 seconds. Unless the 4008's counter does not advance without film in it.

    These are simple tests to get you going.

    -Alex

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •